Friday, November 18, 2016

Salt



On the very sunny and bright day, I had lunch with my friends. we met accidentally while I was heading to the parking site and they were taking their bag in the ward. then we decided to eat soto across the hospital’s street. I ordered scallop soto and it was such a heavenly food especially with their fried tempe that well known around the street. well, I’ll not talk about the food, I will talk about salt. when I ate fried tempe with ketchup and sauce, one of my friend added much salt in my seasoning. it was soo salty. when I complained, he replied,  “saltly is good for your health. it can be antibacterial and prevent sprue”. there was no funny with that, but we were laughing hard. thought we were dying at that time.

Back to home, I thought, is it true that salt can be antibacterial and prevent stomatitis ?


here we go the answer, based on my short research :

sodium chloride is a scientific name of salt. Salt is the result of a chemical reaction; acid-base reaction.  there are two types of salt, sea salt and table salt. The differences between this two salt are in their taste, texture, and processing; but they have same nutritional value (mayoclinic.org)

The AHA (American Heart Association) recommends maximum sodium intake for people is 2,3 mg per day. Here the amount of sodium based on how much tablespoon be used ( sodiumbreakup. heart.org) :

  • 1/4 teaspoon salt = 575 mg sodium
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt = 1,150 mg sodium
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt = 1,725 mg sodium
  • 1 teaspoon salt = 2,300 mg sodium

*hmm, wondering how much salt that my friend had given to me, maybe it was about ¾ teaspoon salt..


Back to my question, according to the Food Research Institute in Madison, the original purpose in  adding salt was to prevent the growth of pathogenic and spoilage organisms, besides its function to seasoning food (Doyle, 2008). *hmmmmmmm, ok.. it’s true. although the impact will not as good as antibiotic <-- you don’t say 


what about salt for preventing sprue ? my friend is a legend dentist, and he said that salt mouthwash can be used not only for prevention but also medication. but, it has more function in the medication of stomatitis. based on cedars-sinai.edu about oral care, before washing mouth with salt, first brushing teeth, then rinsing mouth after brushing with a solution of salt (1tsp.) and baking soda(1/2 tsp.) in 8 ounces of warm water *at this point, my friend was wrong :p it should be mouthwash not eat salt. *hmmm


the conclusion from that moment is, thank you for adding not-much-salt in my seasoning, friend ! although it was too salty but I’m sure your purpose is good *ok, this is sarcastic


by the way, thank you for reading ! sorry for the long *and not-too-important* post ! and sorry there is no potato for you but here i will give you air kisses :* :*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pilihan untuk Menjadi Ibu yang Bekerja

Menjadi ibu itu capek ! Serius, melelahkan. Sebagai seorang ibu, mau bekerja atau full time di rumah, tetap saja melelahkan. Beberapa waktu...